Below you will find a brief test based on the South Oaks Gambling Screen, the most widely used tool to identify problem gamblers. While it is important to remember that a diagnosis of this type can only be made by a trained psychotherapist, this test can nevertheless give you a good idea as to whether or not you may have a gambling problem.
Go through the test and answer YES or NO to the following questions:
- When you gamble, how often do you go back another day to win back money you have lost?
- Have you ever claimed to be winning money gambling, but weren’t really? In fact you lost?
- Do you feel you have ever had a problem with betting or money gambling?
- Did you ever gamble more than you intended to?
- Have people criticized your betting or told you that you had a problem, regardless of whether or not you thought it was true?
- Have you ever felt guilty about the way you gamble, or what happens when you gamble?
- Have you ever felt like you would like to stop betting money on gambling, but did not think that you could?
- Have you ever hidden betting slips, lottery tickets, gambling money, IOUs, or other signs of betting or gambling from your spouse, children or other important people in your life?
- Have you ever argued with people you live with over how you handle money?
- Have you ever borrowed from someone and not paid them back as a result of your gambling?
- Have you ever lost time from work (or school) due to betting money or gambling?
- Have you ever borrowed money to gamble with or to pay gambling debts?
If you have answered yes to multiple questions, you should seek specialist help to analyse your situation more thoroughly. To find out more, we suggest you call the freephone number provided by Siipac.
SIIPAC FREEPHONE NUMBER: 800 589372 (from inside Italy)
Siipac was the first organisation in Italy to set itself the goal of analysing the phenomenon of problem gambling in depth in order to offer an effective treatment programme not just to sufferers, but also to their loved ones. If you contact the freephone number, you will be able to talk with a specially trained operator who will be able to provide you with assistance and point you in the right direction.
For more information, visit www.siipac.it